Monday, April 04, 2005

Stay away from this wireless router

Yesterday I made a trip two hours home to configure their Motorola HomeNet wireless router. My sister got a new computer and they didn't want to run CAT 5 around the house.

The configuration software didn't work at all. The manual is a huge pdf. After beating on it for a while I used my iBook to connect to the figure out the default address, username and password for the router, then configured it by hand.

The router has no fireware or WAP. My advice is to stay away from the Motorola HomeNet WR850G. They got this little piece of work from Wal-Mart.

I was able to secure it using software, but it's criminal to sell this device to people who only want a simple box to give their home wireless.

I cannot find a link for this product using a Google search. I wonder if they even make it anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home