Saturday, July 23, 2005

Britian Says Man Killed by Police Had No Tie to Bombings

Britian Says Man Killed by Police Had No Tie to Bombings - New York Times

I just ran across this story. I haven’t seen it anywhere else, but then again, I haven't looked.

In fairness to the British police:
"Nevertheless the man who was shot was under police observation because he had emerged from a house that was itself under observation because it was linked to the investigation of yesterday's incidents." the Friday statement said.

"He was then followed by surveillance officers to the station. His clothing and his behavior at the station added to their suspicions," the statement added, apparently referring to reports that the man was wearing bulky jacket on a summer day.

Throughout Saturday, the police refused to give any further details. Then, in the late afternoon, Scotland Yard issued a statement contradicting the earlier police comments.

"We believe we know the identity of the man shot at Stockwell Underground station by police, although he is still subject to formal identification," the new statement said. "We are now satisfied that he was not connected with the incidents of Thursday, 21st July."

The statement repeated that the man had been seen emerging from an apartment house under police surveillance and had been followed by officers.


Post a Comment

<< Home