Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Old Richwood Depot

I couple of people told me about this story in last Monday's Charleston Daily Mail about the old train depot in Richwood, but I didn't go read it until last night. The article includes the story of how two of my classmates painted a mural depicting the once-bustling train depot. The mural was completed in 1982: the year we graduated from high school. It's sort like looking at a yearbook photo. I was shocked to find out one of them had died.

Other than my weird personal reflections on the story, it is a pretty nice look at how Richwood is trying to more ahead when so many smaller towns are dying from stagnation.

I also found out last night the father of my best friend from high school died. Ralph Dunn was a lawyer, a civic leader, and a hell of a nice guy. Ralph used to throw a Cherry River Festival Grand Feature Parade viewing party in his office on Main Street that was not to be missed.

Technorati Tags:
,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home