Monday, July 31, 2006

The new wvgazette.com sucks

There is a new Charleston Gazette homepage, and I am not a fan. For starters, who designs on five columns? It also breaks some rules of graphic design, like trapping white space inside the layout. It's very busy, and quite frankly it's a mess.

There are parts I do like. For example, the the menu items in the far left column are much cleaner.

They began rolling out the new design yesterday for the Sunday Gazette-Mail. At least all the links work today. They didn't yesterday. The five column wide design isn't anymore pleasing in a text only browser. (I've tried everything I can think of to make the site legible). The design is broken, but it is fixable. The first thing is to lose the fifth column. (No pun intended.)

Update: The site is back to its old look.
Update 2: Like a bad rash, it's back this morning (8/1).

Technorati Tags:

,


2 Comments:

Blogger Charles West said...

You took the words right out of my keyboard. The new design is hideous.

And just like that it's back. Wow! You must wield more influence than you think to get it changed back that quick.

1:37 PM  
Blogger oncee said...

It's back this morning and it doesn't look any better than yesterday. I'm not sure what they are doing other than making the site illegible. I don't think they were listening to me, since I have yet to lodge a formal complaint.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not crazy or it wasn't my browser.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home