Thursday, April 28, 2005

The Danger Of The Mistyped URL

Jeremy Wagstaff reports misspelling urls can lead to some real trouble.

F-Secure Computer Virus Information Pages: Googkle:
F-Secure staff has found a malicious website that utilizes a spelling error when typing the name of the popular search engine - 'Google.com'. If a user opens a malicious website, his/her computer gets hijacked - a lot of different malware gets automatically downloaded and installed: trojan droppers, trojan downloaders, backdoors, a proxy trojan and a spying trojan. Also a few adware-related files are installed.

The name of the malicious website is 'Googkle.com'. PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THIS WEBSITE! Otherwise your computer will get infected! We have reported the case to the authorities.

I see Windows users fight with problems like these all the time, and I wonder why they don't download and install a Linux distro. They are free, as in free beer. They aren't hard to use, and look just like Windows. I know some people are chained to Windows because they need some software that is Windows only to run their business or some other reason, but to just surf the web and for email Linux is just fine.

2 Comments:

Blogger Skip Lineberg said...

F-Secure is the best damn Internet security package in the world. The parent company, F-Protect of Finland pioneered computer security back in the DOS days. Their lab and R&D center is the leading knowledge center that every security company turns to when the going gets tough. I pay extra to run F-Secure Internet Security 2005 at home and at work, even though my company uses another system that I could get without charge. It's well worth the price. And by the way, I haven't seen a pop-up ad in almost a year.

4:53 PM  
Blogger oncee said...

Hi Skip,

F-Protect is a great company.

I prefer to configure my own firewalls, and I don't use an antivirus since I have a Mac network here at home. No adware to worry about. I haven't seen a pop-up for years. I know everyone can't have the security of OS X and Linux or other unix since we live in this Windows dominated world.

Sounds like you have a good handle on security issues at home and work.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home